Looking for a carb-friendly dish to undo all those holiday meals? I’ve updated classic squash casserole using one of my favorite carb-saving tactics: replacing bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese. And I’ve added a meld of other cheeses and herbs to boost the flavor. I hope it helps you feel less like you’re making a sacrifice as we all try to shed those year-end pounds.
- 3 lbs zucchini & yellow squash, sliced thin approx. 6 squashes
- 1-1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tbsp butter
- 8 oz sour cream
- 4 oz mozzarella, shredded
- 4 oz sharp Cheddar, freshly shredded
- 4 oz Gruyere, freshly shredded
- 6 oz Parmesan, freshly shredded, divided
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, torn in sm. bits
- 1/2 tsp fresh sage, torn in sm. bits
- 3/4 tsp fresh rosemary, lg leaves cut sm.
- 1-1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano, freshly ground
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Preheat oven to 400F.
Bring water to boiling in lg saucepan or Dutch oven with 1/2 tsp salt. Add squash. Boil until soft, approx. 3-6 min, stirring occasionally. Drain thoroughly. Return to pot. Season with 1/2 tsp salt.
Blend in butter. Blend in sour cream. Blend in mozzarella. Blend in Cheddar. Blend in Gruyere. Blend in 1/2 of Parmesan. Blend in mustard, fresh herbs, oregano, onion powder, remaining salt and pepper.
Transfer to casserole dish. Cover with remaining Parmesan. Bake at 400F until golden and bubbly, approx. 25-35 min.