“Simple ingredients prepared in a simple way–that’s the best way to take your everyday cooking to a higher level.” — Jose Andres.
I love eggplant, and I’m always looking for low-carb ways to prepare it for weeknight dinners. This recipe for this healthy side dish is the meld of several I’ve tried. With its strong balsamic flavor, I like to serve it with an oven-roasted chicken and a fruity red wine. I hope you will enjoy it too.
Easy Baked Balsamic Eggplant
- 1 med. egglant, sliced crosswise into 1/4" rounds
- 1/4 c. EVOO Bellucci is my mid-level go-to for cooking and baking.
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, thickly sliced
- 1/2 sm. onion, thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- approx. 6 leaves fresh basil
- S/P to taste Good olive oils are peppery, so you should need to add very little pepper.
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Place eggplant, pepper, and onion in baking dish. Season with salt.
Mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic. Pour over vegetables in baking dish. Add capers.
Bake at 375 F until eggplant is golden brown and tender, approx. 35 min.
Garnish with fresh basil and serve.