My aunt loves my mother’s macaroni salad. So when she invited me to an end-of-summer cook-out, it was easy to decide what to bring. Only problem: The recipe is at my apartment in Virginia. But I helped Mom make it enough when I was young that I figured I’d just wing it, while giving it my own spin. I think it turned out pretty well. I hope you do too.
Mom's Macaroni Salad
- 2 12-oz boxes tri-color rotini
- 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped small
- 1/4 c red onion, chopped small
- 1 scallion, sliced thin, green parts only
- 6 lg. hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 c mayonnaise
Cook rotini according to package instructions, drain, rinse with cold water, and leave aside to cool.
Combine vegetables in a lg. bowl. Mix in rotini. Blend in eggs. Blend in mayonnaise. Sprinkle with paprika.
Chill before serving.
Leslie Carbone is a former Cabinet speechwriter who’s having much more fun as a lifestyle blogger.